According to a 2022 survey by Medscape, the following cities are the top 10 destinations for doctors moving within the United States:
- Charlotte, North Carolina
- Salt Lake City, Utah
- Boise, Idaho
- Austin, Texas
- Boulder, Colorado
- San Jose, California
- Minneapolis, Minnesota
- Sacramento, California
- Atlanta, Georgia
- Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
These cities are attractive to doctors for a variety of reasons, including:
- High salaries. These cities tend to have higher salaries for doctors than other parts of the country.
- Low cost of living. These cities also tend to have a lower cost of living than other parts of the country, which can help doctors save money.
- Good quality of life. These cities offer a good quality of life, with things like good schools, safe neighborhoods, and plenty of cultural amenities.
- Strong job markets. These cities have strong job markets for doctors, which means that there are plenty of opportunities for employment.
- Collaborative work environments. These cities often have collaborative work environments, which can be appealing to doctors who want to work with other professionals.
The following cities are the top 10 cities that doctors are moving away from the most:
- New York City, New York
- Los Angeles, California
- Chicago, Illinois
- San Francisco, California
- Washington, D.C.
- Boston, Massachusetts
- Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
- Miami, Florida
- Seattle, Washington
- Dallas, Texas
These cities are tend to have a higher cost of living than the cities that doctors are moving to. They also tend to have higher levels of traffic.
It is important to note that these are just general trends, and there are many individual factors that can influence a doctor's decision to move. Ultimately, the best city for a doctor to live and work in will depend on their individual priorities and circumstances including salary, cost of living, proximity to family, scenery and weather preferences.